4-Researcher – Economist
Location: Lahore, Pakistan
Deadline: December 4, 2022
The International Water Management Institute (IWMI), a CGIAR Research Center is looking for a competent, self-motivated, and dynamic candidate to join as the Researcher – Economist.
The Researcher – Economist will work on the project “Solar Irrigation for Agriculture Resilience (SoLAR)” based in Pakistan. The incumbent will lead the research activities that include literature reviews, economic valuation of research interventions, impact evaluations, field data collection, data analysis, coordination with stakeholders and project partners. She/he will also take part in organizing project related events, workshops, trainings and field visits involving various stakeholders.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Be part of the research team during fieldwork, participating in interdisciplinary research activities, including data collection, processing and analysis, in the thematic issues such as economics, econometrics, economic valuations, policy, institutions, water governance, rural livelihoods, impact evaluation, gender equality and social inclusion issues.
- Play a key role in coordinating project activities in different case study sites in the provinces of Punjab, Pakistan.
- Provide support to the project partners (Government counterparts) in collecting primary and secondary data, both qualitative and quantitative.
- Work closely with local farmers and be the key communicator with them on weekly basis.
- Take lead in data collection from different project sites by conducting field surveys, phone calls, physical measurements through instruments, choice experiments and digitize the data for proper archival.
- Provide support to organizing and facilitating capacity building training and interaction in the project sites.
- Contribute to building positive relationships with the government, civil society and other stakeholders.
- Provide support to organizing meetings, dialogues and workshops for the project.
- Take lead in preparing high quality project reports according to project timelines.
- Provide support to preparing project-specific communication materials.
- Provide support to increasing the visibility of the International Water Management Institute (IWMI) through the preparation of blogs and articles in local newspapers, and participating in local knowledge forums.
- Arrange the logistics for the research site visits by IWMI and other international project partners.
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- PhD degree in Economics/Management Sciences/development studies/Public Policy or a related social science discipline, with specialization in social science approaches (e.g., economic geography, rural sociology, impact evaluation, governance, and institutional analysis) in these sectors;
- Experience in conducting field research in impact evaluation studies and/or social science applied in natural resource management.
- Willingness to live in rural areas for long periods, at least two weeks.
- Ability to prepare high quality project reports and publications.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in development and/or research project management preferably in the field of natural resources management.
- Experience working in the field of rural development and/or research.
- Good working knowledge of gender equality and social inclusion (GESI)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Familiarity with both qualitative and quantitative research methods in the field of social science research, particularly in the areas economics/econometrics, impact evaluation, institutions and governance issues or economic geography.
- Desired knowledge of rural livelihoods, farming/agricultural systems and renewable energies.
- Familiarity with technologies for efficient use of water in the face of climate change and other drivers of change.
- Knowledge on critical social, economic, ecological, technical, institutional and policy issues faced by the agriculture sector in Pakistan.
- Ability to travel regularly between research sites situated in different districts of Punjab, and to support project activities on the ground and work with IWMI office in Lahore.
- Ability to spend as much as 50% of the time in field with limited facilities outside Lahore.
- Ability to deliver project outputs on time with guidance from the supervisor/project leader.
- Ability to interact effectively with officials in other agencies.
- Knowledge of diversity, inclusion, discrimination and gender issues in Pakistan.
- Respect and practice organizational values and work with professional integrity.
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary environment
- Ability to demonstrate effective teamwork skills
- Sound personal organization and priority setting skills
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Good written and spoken Urdu. Punjabi desirable
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to work as part of a team.
This is a nationally recruited position and only Pakistani nationals are eligible to apply. IWMI offers a competitive salary and benefits package. The duration of the contract will be for a two-year period with the possibility of extension based on performance and availability of funds.
Your application must include a copy of your curriculum vitae, cover letter which addresses IWMI’s requirements stated above, and contact information of three professional referees who will be contacted if you are shortlisted for the position.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis through 24:00 (IST) on December 4, 2022 (Sunday).
IWMI believes that diversity powers our innovation, contributes to our excellence, and is critical for our mission. We offer a multi-cultural, multi-color, multi-generational and multi-disciplinary working environment. We are consciously creating an inclusive organization that reflects our global character and our commitment to gender equity. We, therefore, encourage applicants from all cultures, races, ethnicities, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientations, and gender identities.