6-National Researcher – Remote Sensing and GIS
Location: Lahore, Pakistan
Deadline:December 4, 2022
The International Water Management Institute (IWMI), a CGIAR Research Center is looking for a competent, self-motivated, and dynamic candidate to join its Lahore office as a National Researcher – Remote Sensing and GIS.
The Researcher – Remote Sensing and GIS is responsible for performing a variety of geospatial tasks in the various donor funded water resources projects for IWMI Pakistan portfolio. The Researcher will bring their advanced data handling and modelling expertise to explore relationships between remote sensed data products and on-ground datasets. The researcher will synthesize all spatial information, identify data gaps, acquire missing data from remote sensing approaches, validate the data with state-of-the-art instruments, and lastly, analyse the data for estimating all parameters of water accounting and water resources assessment. The researcher will also work on mapping and monitoring surface water extent and change via flooding, along with estimations of water depth and depth extension to disaster impacts on human settlement, infrastructure, and food security.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform remote sensing and GIS operations at IWMI’s Digital Innovation Unit and other team members, including, but not limited to, analyzing spatial and temporal patterns of vegetation water use and experience analyzing agriculture and water datasets.
- Perform GIS and remote sensing operations along with other team members, including, but not limited to, geometrical corrections, projection standardization, orthorectification, image classification, application of standard algorithms/models, time series analysis using multi-sensor satellite imageries, and preparation of standard outputs.
- Develop spatial models processing and analysis of bulk data for estimating parameters for water accounting and water resources assessment studies using Google Earth Engine/Python scripts.
- Support and direct new climate risk and vulnerability mapping activities including use of multi resolution and sensors data through cloud computing platforms (ESRI, Google, etc.)
- Support organization of meetings, workshops, trainings, and seminars to raise awareness about the project and to disseminate lessons learnt from the project to a wider audience, as appropriate.
- Create geospatial datasets and cartographic outputs from primary/secondary data sources.
- Provide technical support to researchers conducting complex geospatial analysis for various research/management projects.
- Create content or write articles, blogs, or papers based on collected and analyzed data.
- Assist in collecting, evaluating, evaluating, maintaining, and distributing spatial and non-spatial data (and metadata).
- Provide technical support to researchers in carrying out complex geospatial analysis for various research/management projects.
- Supervise the development of geospatial web-GIS portals.
Perform other related assignments as required
Qualifications, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A PhD degree in Computer Science, Space Sciences or similar closely related subject; experience with natural resources management or agriculture also preferred
- At least 5 years’ practical experience in providing spatial analysis, cartography, visual aids, spatial analysis, and infographics to support authoring of project dissemination material.
- Expertise in interpretation and analysis of complex long term spatiotemporal data for presentation to industry and the science community.
- Proven ability to handle, integrate, analyse, model and interpret both on-ground and remotely sensed data
- Evidence of publishing scientific papers in high-impact international journals.
- Excellent spatial analysis skills in mapping and monitoring surface water extent and change via flooding, along with estimations of water depth and depth extension to disaster impacts on human settlement, infrastructure, food security, etc.
- Significant research profile, research leadership, and a commitment to a diverse and inclusive industrial environment.
- The ability to work in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Excellent analytical, and time management skills.
- Ability to prioritize work & achieve stretch targets.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multitask.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and new procedures quickly.
- Attention to detail, precision, and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated service approach and personal organization.
- Personal attributes include high standards of conduct, respect, flexibility, and sound work ethics.
- Effective listening skills, excellent verbal and written communications skills in English.
- Knowledge of Urdu will be an asset.
This is a nationally recruited position and only Pakistani nationals are eligible to apply. IWMI offers a competitive salary and benefits package. The duration of the contract will be for a three-year period with the possibility of extension based on performance and availability of funds.
Your application must include a copy of your curriculum vitae, cover letter which addresses IWMI’s requirements stated above, and contact information of three professional referees who will be contacted if you are shortlisted for the position.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis through 24:00 (IST) on December 4, 2022 (Sunday).
IWMI believes that diversity powers our innovation, contributes to our excellence, and is critical for our mission. We offer a multi-cultural, multi-color, multi-generational and multi-disciplinary working environment. We are consciously creating an inclusive organization that reflects our global character and our commitment to gender equity. We, therefore, encourage applicants from all cultures, races, ethnicities, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientations, and gender identities.